Wednesday, October 8, 2008

My love hate relationship with Medical insurance!

I love having medical insurance. It has allowed me not to become bankrupt with my three very, very, very, expensive pregnancies. It allows me to take my kids for immunizations and to check to see if they have ear infections. It is a comfort to know that if something happens we are covered.

Then there is the other very ugly side of insurance. I am sure you know what I mean. The ugly side where someone has typed something wrong into the computer causing a claim to be denied. Then the ever frustrating process of calling not one person but the doctor's office, the insurance company, and often a third party billing company. All of which operate with different call times in different time zones. So trying to get all of them on the phone at once is a delicate balancing act. It quickly becomes a never ending process of being on hold and people saying "I am sorry but I can't help you until so and so does this or that." What should be one two minute phone call quickly becomes never ending black hole of time, frustration and phone calls.

Don't get me wrong, I love having insurance. But can't they make this easier. So I am inviting all of you who have a rant about insurance companies please feel free to let it out in your comments. And if you have no rants, go say a little thank you prayer and then pray it doesn't happen to you. :)

4 comments:

Jeremiah and Cecile said...

Well... we got the$5k hospital bill for the birth of Pauline 13 months after she was born. Apparently, the hospital billed the insurance company 2 days after she was born. The insurance company hadn't had time to add her to the account so they denied it.

13 months later, the first collection letter arrived and I knew nothing of the denial because they never told us. The hospital apologized and rebilled insurance who denied the bill because it was more than a year old.

i had to file an appeal with the insurance company to get them to pay it which, two months later, they did. Unreal! -Jeremiah

Anonymous said...

Kelli,

This would not happen if we had a nationwide medical insurance! When you mix money and profitability with medical care, this is what happens...
Tell Chris to vote democrat! The US health system might become closer to the European ones... :)

Cecile

Rochelle said...

I love that as much as you hate it you still love it right?
We have been so happy with our insurance despite how many complaints we've heard about the company, maybe it comes from years with no insurance so I don't dare complain.
It can be a constant battle so good luck!

Anonymous said...

Oh, I'm so sorry you have been battling with them! We've been pretty lucky and have had really great insurance, but I have had times where I have been stuck on the phone with numerous people trying to work out a kink in our account, and it has made me want to pull my hair out! Good luck getting it all figured out.

And btw, that bread looks SO yummy :)